SURFACE AND UNDERGROUND DRILLING AND CORING FOR GEOLOGIC CHARACTERIZATION, MINERAL RESOURCE EXPLORATION, GEOTECHNICAL INSTRUMENTATION, ROCK PROPERTIES TESTING, GROUTING, PUMPING, DRAINAGE, MINE FIRE ABATEMENT, AND IN-SITU STRESS MEASUREMENTS.
AAI’s drilling equipment is designed to work in confined spaces and can be transported and assembled in difficult-to-access locations, including underground in mines, atop dams, inside galleries, inside small tunnels, and on scaffolding. Most equipment is heli-portable and crane-hoistable. Our drills are powered by either diesel, electric, or pneumatic motors for compatibility with available power sources and can operate in MSHA 30 CFR Part 36/57/75 gassy mines.
Holes can be drilled from any angle ranging from vertical up to vertical down. Core sizes include A, B, N, H, P, and 6-inch. Casing advancer and down-the-hole hammers options are available for destructive drilling.
Our field crew consists of experienced core drillers who have drilled holes for geological characterization, exploration, geotechnical instrumentation, overcoring for in-situ stress measurements, mechanical and rock quality tests, installation of ground response monitoring equipment, fire control, and groundwater sampling.
AAI has an excellent MSHA/OSHA safety and environmental record. Spill containment controls are routinely implemented. Drill rigs can be operated with biodegradable (food-grade) hydraulic oil for environmentally critical projects. All of AAI’s crews have current MSHA 40-hour training, OSHA-HAZWOPER and CPR/AED/ First Aid training.
Our drills can be custom configured or fabricated for any job and working conditions. Base drill models in our fleet include:
- Ingetrol Explorer Jr. HP 75E (Specifications Sheet)—electro-hydraulic drill with a synchronized chuck-“H” head and Load Sensing hydraulic technology. Hole depth limits: B─1,300 ft, NQ─1,000 ft, HQ─500 ft.
- SD-1500 (Specifications Sheet)—diesel- or electric-powered drill, can be set up on tracks or skids. Can be equipped with either surface or underground masts and winches.
- Boyle Super 300—pneumatically- or electrically-powered drill, can be set up on tracks or skids. Permissible in “gassy” mines when powered pneumatically.
- LA-100—aluminum-framed, heli-portable, pneumatically- or electrically-powered drill, can be set up on tracks or skids.
- CP-65—pneumatically- or hydraulically-powered, permissible, post-mounted drill for use in “gassy” mines. Man-portable and suited for confined-space drilling at any angle.
- K-201-HR Hydraulic Core Drill—stand-mounted hydraulic core drill for shallow, small- and large-diameter coring up to 72 inches deep. Man-portable and suited for confined-space drilling at any angle. Can be mounted to and powered from skid steers and loaders. Suitable for tunnel liner coring.
Our project experience base includes soft and hard rock mines, coal mines, underground gas storage facilities, unconsolidated alluvium and fill, embankment and concrete dams, tunnels, national parks, national laboratory underground facilities, and other heavy civil works: